Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The HOUSE Of The LORD

Another inspiring e-mail from Rob:

When Mom and Dad picked me up from the airport after my mission, they drove me past the Salt Lake temple on the way home. I thought that it would be neat to see the temple. I had no idea what was in store. The structure of the temple is impressive alone, but as we drove past the part of the temple that has the words "Holiness To The LORD The HOUSE Of The LORD", a strong spiritual feeling came over me that I will never forget. Through the Spirit I was allowed to feel and know some of the sacredness of that temple that had come through many years of dedicated work and sacrifice of the early Utah saints. These feelings came so strong that tears came to my eyes. I didn't know all that much about the history of the Salt Lake temple, but many years later I would learn that the man who cut those words into the stone did so at tremendous personal sacrifice. John Rowe Moyle lived 22 miles from the temple. Every Monday he left home at 2:00 in the morning to be at his post on time. On Friday he would leave work and 5:00 in the evening and walk almost until midnight before arriving home. After losing his leg in an accident, he carved himself an artificial leg and foot. Even though it was extremely painful for him to walk with the home-made leg, he built up the endurance to again walk the 22 mile trip to the temple twice a week again. His hands carved those sacred words on the temple that brought tears to my eyes. John Moyle could have murmured about losing his leg, blamed his Heavenly Father, and never finished the sacred carving. Instead, he left a righteous legacy and his grandson became an apostle and served in the first presidency. I am thankful for the House Of The Lord, for my temple marriage, for my family, for Heavenly Father, and the sacred plan of salvation. I am also thankful for my testimony and for the times that I have been able to share it with sincere brothers and sisters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home