Friday, January 1, 2010

Dad's Addition to the FSU Post

Dad's addition to the Initial FSU Post:

I worked with Sol Carrol's wife at the state. He was the self proclaimed #1 Seminole Fan. He was a retired sporting goods salesman from New York and moved to Tallahassee to be near FSU. He was always bringing us coupons to fast food stores. He went to everything FSU. He died of a heart attack on the fan bus on the way to an FSU football game, the 1983 Peach Bowl. A side note can be read about Sol on sectionb.com which is about him naming the "Animals" at the FSU baseball field.

When Bowden was first hired, he stepped up to the podium in front of a packed house at his first introduction to the FSU booster club and said "Beat the Gators". It brought down the house and he didn't have to say anything more.

Travis had a connection with FSU on the day he was born. Mom went into the hospital at about 2:00 A.M. It was a Saturday and I know the day of the week because FSU was playing a game that afternoon. I figuered Mom would be done having Travis in plenty of time to see the game. Not so. Travis didn't come until late in the afternoon and they didn't have TV's in the labor room. What made it even worse is they didn,t have a place for me to sit so I sat on a step stool and leaned my head against the wall and fell asleep. When I woke up my tailend and the back of my head had fallen asleep and I couldn't move. It was the worst pain I had ever experienced. I had to just fall over on the floor and wait till all my body parts woke up before I could move. Not sure of what kind of FSU fan I was to let the birth of my first child and son get in the way of missing an FSU game.

Another neat story is when Robby found a $10 gold piece at an FSU game. When we were selling sodas at the games, after the games the scouts would scour the stands to see if there was any money dropped. I had the guys go out and get empty cups for me so I could make our inventory come out correct(I found out the hard way that the consession people at FSU shorted all the cup boxes). While they were gathering me cups they would find loose change and bills people had dropped. Dax or Dusty had the record of finding a $20 bill until an FSU/ Miami game. Robby found the $20 gold piece in the stands about 30 rows on the 50 yard line. Mom wanted it for a necklace but somehow it ended up in Darrons treasure chest.

This one is a little rarity that I remember from when I was going to FSU. In 1969 thru 1971 a member of the church who was studying some type of sports at FSU was on the gymnastics team and also dressed up like an indian for the football games and would perform with the cheerleaders. I can't remember his name but Aunt Pat might. He was short, about 5'6", and could do forward flips the length of the field without stopping. I don't know what FSU officially called him but the guy I knew was just one of several who did this before they started Chief Osceola and Renegade.

The Seminole Head is the silhouette of Bro. Wright who also wrote the Seminole Fight Song. He directed the performance of the song recently as his first and only time directing the Florida State Band. You forgot the first time we showed any interest as a family in FSU football when we drove to Campbell Stadium late at night when FSU beat Florida after a 10 year drought. We weren't alone, there were 10,000 other people there with us. Thanks for the memories. Dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home