Friday, January 1, 2010

Mom's Addition to the FSU Post

Mom's addition to the Initial FSU Post:

When Traci was still in diapers, we had gotten pretty excited about FSU. The team had a pep rally at the Tallahassee Mall. We were there for quite some time trying to get as many autographs as possible. Dad had Traci on his shoulders and pushing Rob in a stroller. I had Travis by the hand. As we were scurrying around to get team autographs, Traci wet through her cloth diaper and soaked Dad's whole back. We continued to get autographs but it was easier to get them as Dads soaked in urine back) seemed to clear some of the fans out.

Soon after Travis went on his mission, I saw Coach Bowden and his wife in a restaurant. I went over and told him I had a son who was a great punter in high school. He asked me to have him come see him. I told him he was on a 2 year mission for our church in California. He told me very seriously "have your son come see me when he comes home from his mission". We moved to Utah the month Travis came home from his mission.

Dad and I had season tickets when Mudra was the coach at FSU. We were always there with the other 9 couples who attended (actually about 9,000 but with all the empty seats, it seemed like 10 couples). I don't remember ever seeing FSU win but we were there. Needless to say it was a lot more fun to attend the games when Bowden and Burt Reynolds got things rolling for FSU. It got more expensive and harder to get tickets as the winning began.

One Saturday, the Young Women were doing free babysitting at the Stake Center. After we dropped Travis, Rob and Traci off, we somehow ran into 2 Elders. They needed a ride somewhere and as we were talking to them realized it was our anniversary. We knew FSU was playing a home game so we went to the stadium to try to get in. A gator fan noticed we were trying to get tickets and he had 2. Dad told him we only had a $20. He gave us the tickets and we sat by him in the end zone. He bought us a program and 2 drinks but at least we were in to see the game.

I was over 7 months pregnant with Rich. As the thick crowd was leaving the stadium, I heard a cop yelling way behind us "stop him, stop him". I was yelling for dad to stop him as he was running past us through the crowd but dad had been pushed a little way behind me because of the crowd. I was much closer to the suspect than dad and ran over thinking I could trip him as dad was yelling at me to stop or I would get hurt. About that time the cop started firing into the air (which made me stop) but it only made the suspect run faster until he was up the hill by the tracks and out of site. We stayed up most of the night talking about the events of the evening; free babysitting that just happened to be on our anniversary that we had forgotten, 2 missionaries who happened to ask how long we had been married, a gator fan who happened to have 2 tickets and me saying for hours "I should have had him".

Another sold out game, we had seats in the nosebleed section. One guy had alcohol smuggled under his shirt in an enema bag. We weren't sure why he even paid money to go to the game. We noticed him sucking that enema bag dry. We were sitting on the top bleacher. He made it known he needed a restroom. He turned and came up a couple rows to the very top bleacher and started to zip his pants down to relieve himself over the edge. The whole crowd started yelling at him "no, not here" because there was a pretty brisk wind blowing back at us. Other than these 2 insidents, we had very enjoyable times for many years going to the FSU games or watching it on TV with family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home